Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I need rules

After a chat took place between my roommate and myself today, I discovered that unlike her, I need rules.

I need structure in my life, I need to know what comes next. I need to know what is expected of me and what my purpose is. Which is why it's been frustrating working at a place where there just aren't enough hands to provide some of that structure.

In remembering my 6th grade math teacher, Mr. Wallace (whose parents coincidentally lived next door to me), I remember him telling me to trust myself and stop asking questions. And while I recognize that asking questions is what I do, and what I love to do, I really should go out of my way more and take a few risks. Do some things without asking and just follow my own common sense. I'm bound to make mistakes, but there are safety nets in place and I must learn to trust them, and myself, to keep me from doing really dumb and stupid shit.

On an unrelated note, I have the next four days off! Mini-vacation. What shall I do with my time, besides sleep? Suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. suggestions: waste a day in a coffee shop and people watch. work on your list of things to do in chicago next year. read a book. CALL YOUR FAVORITE FRIEND IN TEXAS.

    ReplyDelete