Friday, December 4, 2009

Ending the week with a bit of tzatziki

I had a pretty hectic week this week -- covering a crime story, something I really haven't done outside of class. What I found more difficult about covering this story was writing the actual article rather than the reporting, which is the opposite of how I normally feel.

In any case, since it's Friday and PAYDAY I went out on the town looking for a delicious dinner. Since I couldn't really decide on anything specific, I drove around Fort Collins, looking for something to catch my eye. What I found made me happy enough to dance on the streets in the 10-degree weather we're having.

Yum Yum, the Mediterranean/Arabic restaurant I found, satisfied the need I had for chicken schwarma. At last I've found falafel, I told myself. The smell of lime, basil and grilled chicken filled my heart with joy. The taste of my meal, however, left much to be desired.

The chicken in my schwarma was undercooked, which I recognize happens often in schwarma. I mean, what can you realistically expect when you cook your meat by making it spin on a giant tube?

If the pink meat wasn't enough, the way it was sliced was certainly of no help. Rather than slicing the meat into thin strips, the chicken was chopped into chunks -- large chunks, at that.

Hoping the tzatziki sauce might be a better bet, I uncovered the styrofoam cup to find large chunks of cucumber (anyone else seeing a trend?) The large pieces of cucumber and onion really overpowered the lime flavor and the small pieces of pita made eating the sauce complicated. Utilizing less cucumbers (and in smaller sizes) would certainly have helped, as would cutting down on the onions.

Overall, not a bad dinner for $12.00. But I'm a bit disappointed, Yum Yum. With the quality of food, I think you're only think you're qualified for one Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment